After three amazing days of video game overdosage, E3 finally came to a close yesterday. It was a thrilling, action packed expo full of great gaming for all major consoles. Although many games were competing to be the best in show at the expo, they also fight to see who gives the best swag. I’m happy to report that Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes was the hot ticket item! These figures not only caused early morning stampedes to get to the line, but they also averaged two hour lines! The popularity of these guys were unprecedented! A great sign that these figures will fly off the shelfs!
On my final day at E3 I was given the opportunity to take a tour of the booth and to have a private demo from some of the game producers. While on this tour I was able to obtain more information that we haven’t heard before. I also took advantage and got some video footage of gameplay that I will be showing you guys in following updates. So for now, enjoy all this great new information below.
– LIFE MATTERS: Your figures health matters this time around! Your life doesn’t just regenerate anymore. You will now have to pick up sparks to refill your life bar. If your figure runs out of life, the toy breaks, and you have two options. You can either restart from your last check point or you can place a different figure on the portal. I am assuming this is specific to just the playsets and possibly in toy box challenges.
– DIFFERENT SPARKS: Ok guys! This one is pretty cool! You now have four different sparks to collect to help your figures progression. You can differentiate the sparks by color. Here is what they are and what they do…
- GREEN SPARKS: They regenerate your health bar.
- BLUE SPARKS: These sparks are your new economy.
- PURPLE SPARKS: These regenerate your special ability bar.
- ORANGE SPARKS: They build experience to level your character.
– BASE COMPATIBILITY: Now this one might be a little let down for some. I’m not sure if this is even a DI issue but more so a device issue. This is regarding upgrading consoles.
- PS3 => PS4 – NO NEW BASE REQUIRED
- XBOX 360 => XBOX ONE – NEW BASE REQUIRED
- XBOX 360 => PS4 or PS3 => XBOX ONE – NEW BASE REQUIRED (this ones obvious)
– TOY BOXES ACROSS PLATFORMS: Also having to do with upgrading or using different devices in general, all your toy box saves will be available across platforms. The reason why you can do this is because your toy box saves are attached to your Disney ID. Its basically the same reason why you can pull up your toy box on an iPad and then pull it up on your console.
– SPIDER MAN PLAYSET IS BIG: Just like the Avengers playset, the Spider Man playset will be four times larger then the Incredibles playset, which was the largest playset in the first Disney Infinity game. I really like how are new playsets will be bigger on this round! Can’t wait!
– HULK’S LATE ENTRY: For those who don’t own the Sony consoles, Hulk will make his way to your home 30 days after launch. Just incase anyone still is confused, Hulk is a time exclusive for the Playstation, not a console exclusive. That would cause a lot of people to turn into a raging green monster!
– RESPECCING YOUR FIGURES: Respeccing your figures will be available, however what the process will be is still to be determined. The talent trees even have a button for it already in the build, but they are still tinkering with what will enable the respec. From analyzing this picture below, notice there are two circles on the bottom corners. One says 1 and the other says 2. Maybe you will only be limited to doing it twice? Then your figure would have to be releveled if you really wanted to respec badly enough. Still to be determined.
– NEW DISC CATEGORY: We already know about the costume discs and team up discs, but with the reveal of the new Disney Power discs, there has been new lingo thrown around about a certain power disc type. Event discs is a new category. It is similar to the team up discs where they have to regenerate via timer and you have to summon them, but instead of it being another character fighting with you, you summon an event. One that was revealed a while back was the Hellicarrier Missile Strike and the new one revealed recently was Zeus’ Thunderbolt.
– DUPLICATE DISC BONUS: Now any discs that you own that are duplicate, will give you an added bonus. It isn’t specific whether it will be a one time bonus or random bonus. Its also unknown whether it will be just experience. If anything, it may be several things like all four of the spark categories.
– COSTUME DISC BUFF: Costume discs allow you to change the appearance of a specific figure with in game. However, you will not be able to change all the characters into this costume. Instead if you play this disc with another figure, they will get an added attribute or buff.
– TOY BOX INTERIORS: When you build in your toy box, you are able to place a door on walls or buildings to allow building an interior. You will be allowed to build 10 levels deep. So basically 10 rooms within the interior. Thats pretty big! How about building inside the UP house??
– LEADER BOARDS: They are adding leader boards to the game. Now you can share and compete with your friends for ultimate bragging rights. Any challenges found inside playsets or the toy box, you will be able to share your results with your friends. There will also be top scorer leader boards.
– CHARACTER CROSS OVER BETWEEN PLAYSETS: Through out the playsets you will find tokens that indicate a connection with another character from a different playset. When you find all these tokens, you unlock a special mission. Once this mission is completed, you unlock that character’s cross over into that playset. Side note… NOT ALL CHARACTERS WILL CROSS OVER! Still can’t wait to see Spider Man swinging with the Avengers!
– SPECIAL CHARACTER BUILDERS: Aside from the normal builders inside the toy box, there are special Disney characters that have building attributes. For example, remember the Eve I showed you on another update? Well it turns out she is one of those characters. Because Eve harnesses life, when you drop her in an area, she will build a small forest! Another example is Captain Jack Sparrow’s first mate will build you a pirate themed town or the Sultan will build Agrabah. Pretty cool no?
– TOY BOX GAME TEMPLATES: I’m really excited for these! They have prebuilt template games ready to play when you build them in your toy box. To give you a couple examples, one is literally like Smash Brothers. You can invite up to three other friends to play with you and it will keep score. It has weapons and toys scattered around, just like in Smash Bros. Its pretty cool. The other example is probably my favorite. Its called Red Light-Green Light. You race over blocks that are colored green, and if you don’t pass them before they turn red, your character breaks, and you start from the check point. It was pretty fun!
Thats all the new info I got from my booth tour. A lot to take in! Oh and before I forget, a couple of other things I also saw inside the game. One is an update about Sven from Frozen. He is not a power disc. He is actually a toy you can unlock inside the game! We initially thought he would be a power disc, but its great that he isn’t. It means we get one more cool thing from the power discs instead! :)
Also, more Gravity Falls discovered! Guess who I found running around? Its the Gnome! Theres actually a toy tree trunk that when you are close enough, they pop right out! I saw three of these little buggers running around at one time! Awesome!
Guys, it was loads of fun covering E3 this year! Lots of exciting news for all of us fans of the Disney Infinity Platform. The whole event was fun, but Disney really put on a great show. I want you guys to know that everyone I spoke to and interacted with working the Disney booth was professional, very accommodating, and overall, great company. They answered all my questions and had lots of patience with me and the tons of media running around. Not to mention, they were always happy and smiling.
I want to say, on behalf of myself and the fans here at Infinity and Beyond VK, we thank you Disney! All of you did a remarkable job! I want to also say that everyone from Disney Interactive and Avalanche Software, you guys have created a masterpiece! We thank you times “infinity!” The fact that you guys are still working hard for us today is mind blowing. The demos themselves were incredible, yet the game isn’t even finished! Well done! And finally, a big thank you to John Vignocchi! His energy and enthusiasm makes him the perfect representative for Disney Infinity. I saw him at least seven times running around the convention center. You guys have no idea how busy he was. I was fortunate enough to finally get to meet him briefly. What a true gentleman!
I hope you all enjoyed my three day coverage of Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes at E3 2014. Please know that there are more updates to come. Stay tuned!
Please join us on our Infinity and Beyond Facebook page and tells us what you think about DI 2.0!